After a flood, the owners of household wells should take certain precautions to make sure their water is safe and their well is in good operating condition.
An obvious concern is that flood water loaded with bacteria, chemicals or other pollutants may have gotten into the well. A less obvious concern is electrical shock if a non-submersible pump or any part of the well electrical system is flooded.
Well owner tips after a flood:
- Stay away from the well pump while it is flooded to avoid electrical shock
- Do not drink the water from the well or use it for washing to avoid becoming sick
Get help from a qualified water well contractor or pump installer to:
- Clean and turn on the pump
- Flush the well
- Disinfect the well
- Perform any other necessary maintenance.
- Water wells are specialized systems that require knowledge and expertise to repair and disinfect. If your well has been flooded, use bottled water or boil your water until a qualified water well system contractor can check out your well system.